By

Flattr:
Google+:
Facebook:
Rate:
(average: 4.58)
Loading ... Loading ...

In this episode we talk to Ryan Murphy of ETH Zuerich about Game Theory. We introduce the topic in general, discuss a number of important games and also address their applicability for various other sciences, including biology, politics and economics.

11 Responses to 106 – Game Theory

1. Rick Sheppe says:

A very informative interview on a fascinating subject. Thank you, Markus! Dr. Murphy’s examples and explanations were as impressive as his willingness to answer some of your questions with “I don’t know.” His students are lucky to have such an expert teacher.

2. MaNo says:

Markus

3. Joseph says:

Great episode. I’m not much of a game theory fan, but I’m always down for mathematics. I love your curiosity Markus. It really shows and can make just about any topic interesting.

4. MaNo says:

That’s a nice comment, thanks :-)

Markus

5. Geoffrey says:

Thought I would put the older podcasts aside and listen to this recently published podcast in order to get in sync, so to speak.

This was an interesting and diverse topic. Pleased to hear significant concepts like the Nash equilibrium, zero-sum, symmetry and scenarios like the prisoner’s dilemma and the dictators game discussed in a way that even I could understand.

For one reason or another, I’m having a close look at the Cuban missile crisis at the moment. I wasn’t aware that it was 50 years ago to the day when the world moved back from the edge of a full scale nuclear war. It was interesting to hear parts of your talk alluding to the use of game theory.

Towards the end it was also disheartening, in a way, to hear the rationalisation of and moral hazards like bankruptcy. Perhaps we will, through game theory, foresee the consequences of immoral behaviour and introduce more ethical standards through social reform (eg environment, famine, rights etc).

6. MaNo says:

What I find interesting is that there’s an actual science (game theory) that can replicate and explain some of the “idiotic” things going on in today’s world. In my opinion, we first have to understand what’s going on so we can then try to change some of these mechanisms so we can *then* try to solve some of the world’s most pressing problems.

Markus

7. Theo says:

The episode was very interesting. For all who are interested and want to know more of the thema in Coursera a course about game theory is starting soon, in January https://www.coursera.org/course/gametheory

8. Pingback: Podcastempfehlungen | murdelta

9. MaNo says:

Thanks for the Coursera tipp!

Markus

10. Lukas says:

@MaNo
    “Michael” nimmt die ganzen SEOtheorien ernster als die Spieltheorie. Würde den Kommentar löschen.

11. MaNo says:

Hehe, hatte das in der Tat nicht als Spam erkannt – siehe meine Reply :-) Beides nun gelöscht. Danke.